Saturday, January 25, 2014

The amateur Incursion

I have been in the wedding business a long time and I have seen vendors come and go. What I find really disturbing is the number of amateur "professionals" that have been cropping up like weeds as of late and it is primarily because of sites like craigslist. Now don't get me wrong craigslist is great if you are looking for someone to mow the lawn twice a month or fix that sink that just wont stop dripping but do you really want to trust your wedding day to these "professionals"?

Take photography for example. It seems like every housewife that gets a Canon Rebel for Christmas suddenly thinks they can be a photographer at a wedding just because they shot their cousin's wedding once and the pictures came out "great". Do you really want to trust those precious once in a lifetime moments to someone that got lucky once because he or she knew everyone at the wedding? My seven year old can get "great" shots on my Nikon at a family get together because everyone is willing to pose for him. Throw that same seven year old into a crowded room where he knows no one and watch him freak the hell out! Now I am not slamming my competition by any means as there are some fine photographers out there, (having been one myself) and I can recommend some talented individuals but honestly I am tired of having to tell a photographer what shots to get because they are shooting what they believe is a "really cool" shot of the bouquet sitting on the table during the cake cutting!

I am in the DJ business and as a lark I went on craigslist to see what my "competition" was up to and I was appalled! I found so many DJs that while they may do well in a nightclub or frat party, had no business advertising themselves as a wedding DJ. I saw prices as low as 30 dollars an hour! That is awesome! Great deal right?

You get what you pay for and if all that matters is someone playing music that is not edited (i.e. non radio-friendly explicit versions that will make grandma have a heart attack and little 11 year old Susie twerk on the dance floor with her "fun" aunt) then that might be perfect for you but if you want a DJ that can announce and coordinate the party so it runs perfectly with appropriate music, then you may have to set your sights a bit higher. Your DJ should not be the most intoxicated person at your wedding reception which is why I never drink on the job!

There have always been amateurs that have tried to pawn themselves off as pros, and we all have that cousin, uncle, brother what have you that knows a lot about cars (computers, medicine, carpentry, etc) but please for the love of all that is holy DO NOT hire someone just because they are cheap especially on the biggest day of your lives!

Please be sure to check out my website at www.crystalmagicdj.com and even if you don't hire me, please call me and at least let me give you the tools you need to pick the right vendors for the job. I will be glad to arm you with the right questions to ask any given vendor and may even be able to recommend a few I have worked with over the years because the amateur incursion is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment